[nmglug] "save the data" fresh install ubuntu 10.10

Rob Haag rhaag71 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 29 20:23:11 PST 2010

Hi, I'm new to the list but an experienced Ubuntu user...

As David said, you may not want all of the data from the home
folder....although I personally would recommend saving everything from the
home folder to an external source, or somewhere that the new install will
not affect. Get all of your hidden folders too, this way if you later decide
you need something like the .mozilla stuff (this is where you will find
your Firefox profile and bookmarks backup), then you still have it. I always
have stuff floating around in there (hidden home files), like in the .gnome2
folder where I will find all of my nautilus scripts or custom themes/icons,
there is not much else typically but all the extras will not take very much
space at all. Other than little things like that, you will mostly be
interested in what you can 'normally' see in your home folder including
/Desktop (and I try to exclude the /example link). It may be worth
mentioning that sometimes there are things in other places, like for
instance if you are running a MySQL database, then you will want to make a
dump of your databases, or copy everything out of your /var/lib/mysql
folder...but that would just be a precaution in case your sql dumps failed.
I actually make a snapshot of my /var folder just in case, snapshots of my
/home folder and /var folder pretty much covers everything for me
personally. If you keep an install of Ubuntu, and rely on the data heavily
then rsnapshot is a very handy tool (in the repos), it uses rsync (although
I use it locally), to make incremental snapshots of whatever you tell it to.
This way, you can just preserve your backup (snapshot) folder, and wipe
everything else knowing that you can restore your data from a snapshot, mine
is setup to make 6 hourlys, 7 dailys, and 1 weekly so I can go back in time.