[nmglug] modem with port translation support

Anthony Martinez pi at pihost.us
Thu Feb 4 11:59:49 PST 2010

Excerpts from Andres Paglayan's message of Thu Feb 04 10:47:32 -0700 2010:
> Hi,
>
> my old and noble cisco 678 doesn't support higher speeds provided by qwest, I
> ordered they recommended pk5000 but this one doesn't support nat port
> translation, i.e. outside 8080 to inside 80,

Aww. That saddens me.

> Is anybody using a modem that supports high speed dsl and port translation,
> and that you are with?

I haven't used a DSL modem's NAT capability since I found out that you can put
the modem into RFC1483 Bridging Mode, and set up a Linux machine behind it using
PPPoE with your Qwest username and password, and doing all the routing, NAT, and
DHCP that the modem would otherwise do.

[home network]-----[eth1]-[eth0]------[whatever modem]

This is working for my Qwest DSL setup, but I don't know if they're supporting
that for the higher-speed links.

> Thanks!

-- Pi

--
Within C++, there is a much smaller and cleaner language struggling to get out.
-- Bjarne Stroustrup