[nmglug] partitions on a solid state drive

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Fri Jan 8 11:13:18 PST 2010

On Fri Jan  8 11:33 , Andres Paglayan  sent:

>Hi,
>Instead of buying a new laptop this year,
>
>I decided to get a solid state HD upgrade for it.
>
>It's an Intel 80G, and will have Ubuntu 9.10 on it.
>
>Do the same partition considerations apply to a ram disk,
>
>as they do to a magnetic plate one?
>
>Does it matter having different partitions, or makes no sense?
>
>Thanks, regards, and happy new year for all.
>
>Andres

Andres,
  The same rules pretty much apply.  For laptops I have had good results with
just a few partitions.

/ - Everything except the two below.
/tmp - Separate temp so you don't fill root by accident.  For a laptop with a
built in SD card reader, I have put this on an SD card successfully.
/home - Keep this separate for ease of upgrade in the future.  If you reinstall
Linux from scratch, just point home at the same partition and, worst case, you
will have to change a bunch of permissions to make them match up with your new users.

Good luck,

Andy