[nmglug] fax modem pci card

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Fri Oct 15 15:52:00 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-10-15 at 15:55 -0600, BrianO'Keefe wrote:

> Thanks Andres. I found this how-to and was heading down that road but
> I didn't see a GUI interface like efax or gfax (the gnome front end
> for efax). I also just got totally baffled by the instructions though
> I can copy and paste with the best of them (and not understand the
> commands!). Your link says that the t38modem software works with
> Hylafax but apparently, according to the how-to, it's much more
> complicated than that.
> I had installed t38modem as well as hylafax but as the how-to above
> says it's really not easy to make all this work and I still don't know
> how I would use it with my wireless DSL. that was the nice thing about
> OSX and FaxStuff.....
>
> http://www.foriamroot.org/hylafax-6-0-debian-or-ubuntu-t38modem-1-0-asterisk-1-6/

asterisk t38 is an overkill for sending faxes from a laptop, definitely
a no-go

assuming you have connection to a POTS line,
then get a usb-dongle hylfax compatible modem (little and practical)

configure the modem for the sytem,
add the modem to hylafax
(plenty of instructions around, not complicated when you know where the
modem is)

and send faxes from the command line,