[nmglug] virtual networking

J. Marsden DeLapp jmdelapp at delapp.com
Thu Sep 2 23:44:22 PDT 2010

On Thursday 02 September 2010 12:10:32 pm Sam Noble wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-09-01 at 17:57 -0600, J. Marsden DeLapp wrote:
> > I checked it with ip link
> >
> > Plugged in
> > $ ip link show eth1
>
> Is your virtual XP guest communicating with the host over eth1?

Apparently so.

> I haven't used virtualbox, but kvm, xen and I believe vmware, all set up
> virtual nics (in a few flavors) for this stuff. Hence the "ip link show
> virbr0" (Virtual Bridge Interface 0 I think.)

Virtualbox creates a virtual interface vboxnet0. There is also a bridge pan0.

But neither of these are configured and it appears they are not used for a
bridged connection.

After trying all the stuff you suggested and everything I could think of, it
still will not work without the network cable plugged in.  But I did figure out
I can plug the laptop into a router (router connected to nothing else) and it
will work. At least this will let me work this weekend without a network
connection.  So now I am off to Storrie Lake for some hacking and sailing (but
not both at the same time). I'll work on the router-less setup next week.

If anyone is interested in joining the fun, the Hobie Fleet will be at Storrie
Lake, just north of Las Vegas, this weekend and will be giving free rides.
http://hobiefleet48.org/hobie/storrie.html

Mars

J. Marsden DeLapp, PE
President
DeLapp & Associates, Inc. dba DeLapp Engineering.
Providing lighting and power planning, design and analysis services
for commercial, industrial and large residential facilities.
1190 Harrison Road Ste 3a
Santa Fe NM 87507
(505) 983-5557
http://DeLapp.com