[nmglug] someone with a broken iMac

Don Thornton Jr. donthorntonjr at earthlink.net
Fri Sep 24 09:49:49 PDT 2010

try this before wasting money on witch doctors:

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1343

1) zap the PRAM

hold down the Command-Option-P-R keys while booting at least 3 times
consecutively

2) boot into verbose mode

hold down Command-V keys while booting and look for errors

if you are unfamiliar with BSD boot messages then either get familiar
or call a friend who is

3) login as "Administrator"

if you don't have a "clean" administrator account then you should
create one that has no startup items, no desktop doo-dads or any other
malarkey.

login as "Administrator" and run "Disk Utility" select the boot disk
on the left and select the "First Aid" tab then click "Verify Disk"

it is preferable to boot from an alternate source (install CD or boot
disk) but this should run to completion although it might lock up the
desktop for a while.

let it run!  - it might take a while depending on how bad the disk is...

if there are any errors then click "Repair Disk" but this may not work
while checking the boot disk (see below)

rinse/repeat - run the check again

once everything looks good then click "Repair Disk Permissions" and
when that's complete...

reboot

4) create a clean boot disk to boot from and run diagnostics from

I suggest using the install CD and an external (USB/Firewire) disk to
get a clean install then run "Software Update" and apply all of the
updates.

keep it up to date.

this is just for starters but I hth