[nmglug] filezilla,cron

Michael mike at mountainstatestech.com
Sun Apr 3 17:42:03 PDT 2011

I've belonged to the new mexico linux users group since the late 90's,
when I got my very first linux cdrom - a boxed set I got from
comp-usa in Albuquerque of Red Hat 5.1.

I've never attended a meeting, and I ignore most of the emails, but
occasionally, I'll get one that I can help with.

I got this one earlier, and I thought that would be easy to do with
a bash script and cron, so I tried a couple of things and came up
with one that gets the current time in seconds since the epoch,
redirects the output of the current contents of the subject file
to a new file with the time variable, then echo nothing
to the subject file to empty it.:
#!/usr/bin/bash
MYTIME='date $s'
cat /path/to/subjectfile > /path/to/wherever/$MYTIME
echo > /path/to/subjectfile

then I realized that he's using filezilla - an ftp client.  I did
ask him if he had some kind of shell access as you're a little
more limited with ftp.