[nmglug] SMART error message

Chris Brotherton chris at protonlab.net
Sun Apr 17 08:17:14 PDT 2011

I am starting to see the following error in my logs:

Apr 16 08:25:30 darkstar smartd[2159]: Device: /dev/sdd, 1 Currently
unreadable (pending) sectors
Apr 16 08:55:30 darkstar smartd[2159]: Device: /dev/sdd, 1 Currently
unreadable (pending) sectors

Based on these error message, I was going to follow the advice on this webpage:

http://smartmontools.sourceforge.net/badblockhowto.html

However, the SMART selftests show the following:

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Self-test log structure revision number 1
Num  Test_Description    Status                  Remaining
LifeTime(hours)  LBA_of_first_error
# 1  Short offline       Completed without error       00%      4381         -
# 2  Extended offline    Completed without error       00%      4374         -

So, do I need to concern myself with error or not?

Thanks,
Chris.