[nmglug] SMART error message

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Sun Apr 17 16:59:14 PDT 2011

On Apr 17, 2011, at 10:46 AM, Nick Frost wrote:

> and if the drive was in warranty (by checking the manufacturer's website which will usually tell you) I'd do the full surface scan (which I'm wagering will fail) and RMA the drive.

Only thing I forgot to mention is that before RMA'ing drives with data on them I usually;

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sdd bs=1M conv=notrunc,noerror

at least once, unless the entire filesystem is encrypted (AES-256, LUKS) in which case I wouldn't bother erasing the drive and RMA it as is.

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508