[nmglug] Custom Boot Disk for School Lab

Jeffrey Miller jeffrey at strandcruisers.com
Tue Aug 23 18:15:33 PDT 2011

This seems like the classic RTFM question but...  (-:

So our tech dept in our district has removed all our triple boot
builds (Mac OSX, Vista & Edubuntu) on our Mac Minis and installed
Windoze7 only.  I am working with Tux Typing and want to be able to
have an edited word list for my students.  The problem is is that the
tech dept doesn't fully use the roaming profile so in Windoze7 each
user stores some of their stuff, like favorites, Firefox settings and
Tux Typing edited word lists, in their own local folder.  So each user
needs to have the edited word list files stored in their own unique
folder on each machine.  So my scheme is to build a linux boot cd with
a few Edubuntu games on it with their custom files already installed
and configured.  Student will just boot from the disk, like in my old
Apple IIe daze. No need to save anything, unlike in the old FrEdWriter
daze.  And we don't want to modify the existing Mac Mini or the hard
drive.  <:

So I am thinking I could build a box with Ubuntu and add a few of the
educational software packages.  Configure the software as I see fit,
including custom word lists.  Then clone it with Clonezilla to CD.
Never done it before.  So I am wondering what I might need to pay
attention to as I am building a boot CD without the capabilities of
installing linux on the existing hard drive.  All the computers are
Mac Minis but it would be cool if it would work on any intel.

I had thought about editing the boot cd that one can download as an
iso file.  But I never done that either.

Any ides, thoughts and/or caveats will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Peace

"It has always seemed strange to me that in our endless discussions
about
education so little stress is laid on the pleasure of becoming an
educated person,
the enormous interest it adds to life. To be able to be caught up into
the world of thought -- that is to be educated."
Edith Hamilton