[nmglug] piece of iron

Andres Paglayan andres at paglayan.com
Thu Jun 2 22:18:17 PDT 2011

I mainly deal with web business apps that are meant for the datacenter,
and must have a copy on development mode that reloads half the code from
disk on each request and
has to run on my laptop, that, plus all the tests that have to run
before each commit
makes my need for a good processor and tons of memory,

the difference is between running tests and keep working or running
tests and going for a coffee,

The 4 y old t61 has 4g ram, a T7500  @ 2.20GHz, and SSD, (and a noisy
fan),
but waiting 60~120 seconds for a battery of tests to run or 10 seconds
for requests to a web app (that has to boot half of it each time)
is frustrating, so I am currently looking at a Lenovo w520 that
practically can quadruplicate the specs,

I am as well starting to experiment with running all at the servers on
the datacenter and connecting to them
via consoles and the browsers, almost mimicking the local environment,