[nmglug] VOIP Asterisk

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Tue May 10 14:51:47 PDT 2011

On 05/10/2011 03:39 PM, J. Marsden DeLapp wrote:
> I am looking for some advice on setting up a PBX system that includes VOIP.
>
> I currently have a proprietary PBX system  (Talkswitch 280vs) that could do
> VOIP if I add a $500 module to it.
>
> How easy is it to setup an Asterisk based PBX? and what do they cost?
>
> Mars

There are a number of packaged Asterisk distributions such as PBX in a
Flash.  So, a decent PC running Asterisk with some VoIP phones (Snom,
Polycom, Aastra,etc) should function well *if* you have good bandwidth.

I use a Linksys ATA for VoIP at home (with a regular Panasonic cordless
handset attached), with sipgate for incoming calls and GV for outgoing
calls (configured with sipsorcery) which works reasonably well.

Recalling past NMLUG/NMGLUG threads on this topic (VoIP) I think Andres
Paglayan is very knowledgeable about VoIP and might have a
recommendation for a business class VoIP system using Asterisk.

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508