[nmglug] Meetings

rob jackson rjackson1969 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 28 13:55:04 PDT 2011

I was using gnome 2 in ubuntu 11.04 because you could ignore unity at bootup
and change it. They took that away on 11.10. You have to install gnome shell
to get the gnome option and that of course is gnome 3. If there was a way to
boot in 11.10 to gnome 2 I couldn't find it. I'm getting used to gnome 3
except they hide preferences and it is very hard to customize by comparison
to gnome 2.

On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 2:34 PM, John Osmon <josmon at rigozsaurus.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 28, 2011 at 02:26:41PM -0600, Jason Schaefer wrote:
> > > Gnome 3 is nice to a point but man, I find it odd that a linux
> distribution
> > > is strong-arming it's users into drastic changes in interface. Unity or
> > > Gnome 3. Even Win7 didn't change it's user interface that much.
> >
> > True! it was pointed out last night that you can switch to gnome
> > classic from gdm, before login. Not really strong-arming more like
> > strongly suggesting :-)
>
> All I know is that I couldn't find my way around my kid's ubuntu machine
> when they changed to unity.
>
> <lawn mode="get off my">
> I think I'm officially old...
> </lawn>

   When I came back to Dublin I was court martialed in my absence and
   sentenced to death in my absence, so I said they could shoot me in my
   absence. - *Brendan F Behan*