[nmglug] partial update update

MeanderingCode meanderingcode at aetherislands.net
Tue Apr 3 11:33:05 PDT 2012

[for the unabridged version, see BrianO'Keefe's post above]
> [...]for Ubuntu 10.10 that is.
> Still resisting the Unity interface with all of my might and not doing a
> new install of a different distro.

Sorry for jumping in without knowing the history:

The Ubuntu repos carry Kde, Gnome, and many more obscure desktop
managers, as well as Unity.  I believe all that is require is to install
the "gnome-panel" package (and wait for all your dependancies to
download and install, too ;), and log out.  You should be able to choose
a "Gnome Classic" session.  I don't know if that package install will
also give you Gnome 3 Shell.

I may be wrong.  I am on Kubuntu 11.10, and have been on the Kubuntu
variant for 2 or 3 years.  But if that's correct (and someone wrote
about it in regards to 12.04, maybe on http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk ?)
then I would advise you to spend the time upgrading, as security patches
are priceless.  It could be some work, though...can you do a
dist-upgrade in steps (11.04, 11.10), now that you've skipped a release?
 I know you cannot go straight from 10.10 to 11.10, as you can only skip
releases when going from LTS to LTS release.
'Course, i would wait until May to upgrade, as i always find the repos
rather slow in the first two weeks after a release :)

Cheers,

Sean