[nmglug] suggestions/help if I'm on the wrong track

Steve Katona srtraveler at gmail.com
Sun Apr 8 09:54:59 PDT 2012

My first post. I'm a long time Ubuntu user--from 5.x to 10.04 currently. I
recently bought a Zareason 5440 after using several Dells that started out
on the dark side. It is a great pleasure and works like a charm. I am
minimally acquainted with the command line but minimally is the operative
word.

Here's what I want to do and wonder if there is software that will do it or
if there is a better way than I have in mind? A friend has posted about 115
YouTube talks that run from 5 minutes to near 30. A selection of them will
make a book that we think will sell but more importantly would be important
to be available. I transcribed one by starting and stopping the video and
typing (at my usual 25 wpm speed). This is tedious and time consuming.
Hiring someone to transcribe is a possibility.

My question is does anyone know of voice to text software that can listen
to the YouTube being played and put that into a text file that I can
manipulate with OO or LibreOffice? Is there a better way?

Thanks, in advance, for any help or direction...sk

--
Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if
I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common