[nmglug] AMD 64 bit

Rob Haag rhaag71 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 20:59:20 PDT 2012

Does your Toshiba have a SATA hard drive? All the new ones do, surely this
unit at Newegg does too. But you may also sacrifice speed/reliability to
swap it out. I may suggest you take an image of your old HDD with GParted
or even the 'dd' command, then put that image on the new hard drive, then
grow the new hard drive's partition to utilize the extra space (if the new
on is bigger (in capacity)... or partition whats left over and mount that
partition too. It's not a fantasy to swap hard drives though, if you
thinking 'will it start up in the new hardware?'  Also, the new laptop you
linked to certainly supports accelerated 3D graphics, which sounds like a
step up for you in that department.

Just for the fun of it, check out Micro Center. Not every deal ships (some
are 'in store only'). I re-located to Columbus, OH and we have Micro Center
here, my dad just picked up a really nice Asus laptop for $249 that
supports accelerated graphics, the RAM is a bit lower than what you found
at Newegg, but could be upgraded for $20-30 to 4gb. I have had very good
service from Micro Center too, they are very customer oriented. It's worth
a quick look, but unfortunately most of the 'good' deals are 'in store only'
MicroCenter http://www.microcenter.com/

Good luck,
Rob Haag