[nmglug] AMD 64 bit

Andrew Farnsworth farnsaw at stonedoor.com
Thu Aug 23 06:17:36 PDT 2012

I'll second the reboot on the modem and router reboot.  Often DSL
connections record the MAC address of the connected "computer" and then
only allow that machines MAC address to connect so if you are replacing the
router it won't have the same MAC address and therefore not allow a
connection.  A reboot should solve this.

USB drive boot problem, will the USB stick boot another computer?  If not,
then it is probably the MBR as Rob said, if it will boot another computer
then you might have a bigger issue.   A quick test would be to take another
USB stick and put something like Ubuntu or other distro on it in a bootable
form and then try booting from it.  If it works, it is not the new laptop.

Andy