[nmglug] AMD 64 bit

Sam Noble s at mnoble.net
Tue Aug 28 08:03:09 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 27, 2012 at 06:57:43AM -0600, BrianO'Keefe wrote:

>            I got the acer today and just tried booting from my USB ubuntu
>            drive and I can't. I can set the boot order, which I did, but
>            still no boot from the USB drive.
>            The USB drive Ubuntu is a clone of my current HD, 10.04. Both
>            machines are AMD 64 bit
>
>            Any ideas?

I know that you could boot from that drive, but the last time you
brought that setup to a glug meeting (the time that we manually changed
the uuid of the / partition) I recall that we were sometimes not booting
from the bootloader that was installed on the disk we were booting.

It may have been that we _were_ booting from the USB drive, and the grub
installed on it, and then before we fixed the uuid duplication,
"accidentally" booting from the / partition on the internal drive.
If so then just ignore this message.

But if we were doing the reverse, booting the grub on the internal
drive, and then loading the OS that was on the USB drive, then it's
totally possible that the USB drive itself is not actually bootable by
itself, despite that you've regularly booted from it.

A fairly quick test would be to pull the internal drive out of the old
laptop and make sure that you can still boot the USB drive.

--
sam