[nmglug] Linux kernel 3.0

Rob Haag rhaag71 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 19 18:36:59 PST 2012

I've been using the 3.0 Kernel since I upgraded to 11.10 (pretty sure thats
when it came in). It's been stable, I'm not sure what benefits I'm getting
from it though...maybe a better CPU scheduler? Probably loads of other
stuff, I remember reading some stuff in Linux Pro, it had a 'list' of
changes. Here's a detailed list http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_3.0

Anyhow, as far as packages that are being held back, first (as usual) do a
'sudo apt-get update'...then do a 'sudo apt-get dist-upgrade' .., it will
upgrade your kept packages (packages being held back). This won't upgrade
your distribution, unless you change your sources.list to point to the new
repository (not the recommended way of upgrading distributions though),
this should just remove obsoleted packages and install new dependencies and
upgrade your held back packages...of course, as always, read the before
hitting 'Y'. Check out 'man apt-get' to get the full scoop from the man
page..

Good luck...