[nmglug] Linux kernel 3.0

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Tue Jan 24 09:45:19 PST 2012

On Thu, Jan 19, 2012 at 8:44 PM, BrianO'Keefe <okeefe at cybermesa.com> wrote:
> Thanks Rob,
>
> I have run apt-get update but have read that your suggestion does a partial
> upgrade and that can cause issues. Is that correct? I'll do some more

Hi Brian
I've lost touch with the ubuntu releases but I think that your version
of 10.10 doesn't have gnome unity. If you do a dist-upgrade it will
only upgrade the 10.10 distribution and not bring in anything outside
of it. As Rob pointed out, it won't upgrade your distribution to 11.10
(or whichever) UNLESS you change your /etc/apt/sources.list or
equivalent to include a newer distribution. Perhaps the "dist" in
dist-upgrade is misleading... dist-upgrade is the appropriate way to
do a "full" upgrade either standing in your current distro or to a new
one.
If you want to be more conservative you could use "apt-get upgrade".
This is less aggressive in its updates and will not add or remove
packages to facilitate a full upgrade.
Also, "apt-get update" doesn't actually update packages, it only tells
the system the latest updates available from the /etc/apt/* repository
lists.
 If you are worried, go ahead and send us the output of "apt-get dist-upgrade".
Jason