[nmglug] Linux kernel 3.0

Rob Haag rhaag71 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 28 13:10:49 PST 2012

I think we are kind of in a transition period here (again)... Ubuntu, for
me, was getting to be too much work to make it what I want. They turned off
so many things, ctrl-alt-backspace being one of the first. I really hate
the Unity menu, although it is much like Gnome-shell...which I really like.

I had to just ditch Ubuntu, going to Mint for me is a good transition stage
as it's based on Ubuntu...I will probably end up at Debian or maybe go way
out to Arch. I may even have to completely switch to Fedora, or CentOS. I
guess my point for switching is that I want to run Linux, and not a distro
that is competing with another OS. At the same time I'm really rooting for
Ubuntu (and others) to keep it up, because they have come quite far in
taking a piece of the desktop OS market and has really helped to put Linux
on the map as a viable desktop OS.

To answer your question (with my opinion)..I think the Mint and Cinnamon
desktops have staying power. Actually they are just schema and extensions
for Gnome 3 (AFAIK), but Mint has been around for quite a while now and
they don't seem to be going anywhere. Plus the Mint/Cinnamon are going to
be carried on by others in some form/name. If you have the hardware (mostly
a good video card supporting 3d/2d acceleration) then give gnome3 a shot
(live-cd will tell, virtual machine...not so much without a lot of fuss
because of 3d accel, etc.). The Mint distro has a couple gnome-shell
extensions that help bring it back to what we were used to in gnome-2...but
with all the new features of gnome-3. They did a great job if you ask me.

Here is my advice, to myself and all of us who are being 'put out' by these
changes. Move our /home folder to a separate partition, and be ready to
re-install whenever we feel like it :)