[nmglug] dmesg output

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Fri Jun 1 19:50:54 PDT 2012

On Jun 1, 2012, at 8:18 PM, BrianO'Keefe wrote:

> Thanks a bunch for all of the great info Nick. I now understand nice and renice much better though the wikipedia article on it is pretty understandable for someone like me but you out did that.
> I splurged and had Gremlin computers do a basic house cleaning but no new thermal paste. It was affordable enough and James said that the fan and port were pretty clogged up and there was dust basically everywhere. He felt that it would help so we'll see. I can already tell that the air blowing out is much cooler.

Brian;

I'm glad to hear the cleaning helped.

It's frustrating that there are not more Toshiba repair manuals  available online.  I'd forgotten that but in looking just now there aren't many Toshiba service manuals to find (as with HP, for example).

There are a few pages that discuss and have pictures of disassembly of your Toshiba L305-S5917 or Satellites that have adjacent or close model numbers (and therefore hopefully should be somewhat representative of disassembly procedure).  Removing the keyboard exposes the fan, it's not clear in some of the pictures if the mainboard has to come out to remove the fan.  I believe the answer is certainly "yes" (motherboard has to be removed) from the picture in step 9 (link below) because I can see the CPU Fan bottom retainer is visible in the photo (underside of mainboard is therefore facing up when the keyboard is removed).  So, there are likely heat pipes from the CPU heat sink over to the fan assembly.  However, looking at the fan assembly on ebay I see no integrated heatsink so……it's hard to say for sure without seeing one firsthand and up close.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-L305-L305D/remove-screen-replace-video-cable-2.htm

http://www.rwenger.com/toshiba-satellite-l305-s5919-laptop-repair-pics/

The second link includes a gutted L305…but it's clearly time consuming to do a complete teardown on that L305-S5917.

> As far as cost effectiveness on an older notebook, and cheap to boot, I have substantially upgraded it over time with a 4 hour battery, 4 gigs memory and a bigger hard drive. The day will come when I need to or the economics are too blatant that I choose to get a new one and the new models out there are very tempting. I just saw a Sony on NewEgg for $399 with amazing specs but I don't have that to spend cavalierly at this time. I'll count the change in my cookie jar though but I am pretty fanatical about not getting anything new as long as the old one can still do the job. I hate waste and the manufacturing process for electronics is brutal on people and the environment. Damn conscience! Next step is the thermal paste. I need to look some more for a how-to for this model.

I think the howto's (with photos) for the screen removals, DC power jack repair and such ought to provide a good start though if you wanted to venture down that road someday.  I usually use plastic trays…craft organizer boxes (18 compartments per tray or so, three rows of six compartments ) to store the screws in some sort of order when performing significant disassembly.  Long ago I used to create a "map" on one or more pieces of paper and push the screws through the  paper and label the holes/screws, but that's time consuming and the screws tend to fall out if not taped.

Good luck and have a nice weekend,

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325