[nmglug] adding new user to Ubuntu

MeanderingCode meanderingcode at aetherislands.net
Wed Jun 6 11:07:55 PDT 2012

On Tue 05 Jun 2012 01:31:32 PM MDT, BrianO'Keefe wrote:
> The guest shows up on the login screen and the password works fine.
> However login only last a few seconds and then back to the login
> screen. No declining of the password or anything. I've checked all the

Brian,

Did you find anything in the logs?  I would look in /var/log/auth.log,
/var/log/gdm.log (or kdm.log), and others.  Try creating another user
and see if it still happens, and try 'grep -rn guest /var/log' (replace
"guest" with username) and see if you find anything.  the "-n" option
will prefix matches with line numbers, which means you can then open
the file, go to the line number, and see what else is around it.  Also,
looking at the timestamps for your logins, you can look at other events
in other log files for what else may have fired.  Unfortunately,
timestamp formats differ between daemons/logs, and not all are "human
readable", so doing this without log analysis software is not always
easy.

Cheers,
Sean