[nmglug] new laptop

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Wed Mar 7 18:49:29 PST 2012

On Mar 7, 2012, at 7:30 PM, nick pitlosh wrote:

> Hey there guys, looking to spend 300-500 bucks on a new device. I'd
> prefer USB3 802.11n, and at least 4gb of ram. refurb/used doesnt
> matter. I run quite a few virtual machines. Suggestions?

Quite a few VM's would suggest a 15" MB Pro at $2,500+ or http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-G74SX-DH73-3D-17-3-Inch-Gaming-Laptop/dp/B005PAJIGC/ref=sr_1_9?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331174100&sr=1-9

this being typed on a 15" MB Pro that handles "quite a few virtual machines" but I'd not subject a lesser laptop to those demands as I'm not that patient.

In specified price range few opportunities will perform Herculean multi-VM tasks, though a good SSD or Hybrid drive (http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Momentus-7200RPM-Hybrid-ST750LX003/dp/B00691WMJG) should yield noticeable performance improvements;

http://www.amazon.com/A53Z-EH61-15-6-Inch-Versatile-Entertainment-Laptop/dp/B005UUSIRW/ref=sr_1_22?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331174100&sr=1-22

http://www.amazon.com/Acer-TimelineX-AS3830T-6417-13-3-Inch-Aluminum/dp/B0051OL7H0/ref=sr_1_23?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331174100&sr=1-23

If it was me I'd get something that could handle OSx86 like an HP Probook 4530s,  in May of 2011 having bought and stripped a HP ProBook 4320s(XT939UT) NoteBook Intel Core i3 370M(2.40GHz) 13.3" 2GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi Intel HD Graphics $579.00
and inserted a Crucial RealSSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), the only downside being the labor involved in the complete disassembly of the new 4320S to replace the HDD with SSD, but the performance improvement made it more than worth it for my client who states he is a happy man.

Back to the HP 4530S;

http://www.amazon.com/HP-XU015UT-Dual-Core-SuperMulti-LightScribe/dp/B004RCUIJU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331174299&sr=1-1

with an SSD;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_T0ZEHq_gM

and were it me I might carve the drive up  and run two or three OS's (one of which could run VM's) and use Chamelon as the bootloader.

Good luck.

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325