[nmglug] The OS progress,

Scott Gamble gamblesc at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:40:57 PDT 2012

On 05/02/2012 11:53 AM, Eddie Schell wrote:

> Scott,
> That's great that you got your monster working,
> I would love to attend meetings but unfortunately I live in lonely old
> gallup . What kind of machine are you running? I use Linux mint 12 and
> I'm eagerly awaiting Linux mint 13. I find it to work really well and
> is pretty up to date. I have heard lots about crunhbang.. I think I
> will give it a shot in a VM tomorrow. Its debian based yes? Ill let
> you know what I think:-)
>
> On May 2, 2012 11:45 AM, "Scott Gamble" <gamblesc at gmail.com
> <mailto:gamblesc at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 05/01/2012 06:33 AM, Ted Pomeroy wrote:
>
>         NMGlug'ers, I am glad to see the conversation continuing. I
>         hope that
>         any of us that find a workable solution will share with new
>         users. I,
>         too, prefer Gnome 2.x and wonder if any of us is up to finding the
>         archive for this. I wonder if it is possible to bring it into an
>         upgraded system.
>         Let's keep talking as we settle on new or updated OS's.
>         By the way, I have had some issues with some kind of exploit in
>         Firefox over the last month. Both at home and at a public
>         computer.
>         Homepage and some other settings were changed. Easy enough to
>         fix with
>         'about:config' but interesting that it has happened repeatedly.
>         Thanks, Ted P.
>
>     Greetings NMGlug'ers,
>     Ted, I am glad to hear that the Debian install with Xfce is
>     progressing well.
>     Just a quick intro for Linux users who have not been to the last
>     two meetings at the Baking Co.
>
>     I have been working on getting a working install of Linux on my
>     "monster-Laptop" which I use for
>     Design Engineering work with Autodesk Inventor (which only runs on
>     Windows).
>
>     I had been using "the monster" - in dual - boot Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
>      but when trying to upgrade to latest Ubuntu my Realtek ALC 1200
>     audio chipset was not recognized in the new ALSA tree in the new
>     Kernal.
>
>     I spent many weeks trying to fix this a few years ago but in the
>     end I had to give up and reinstall Ubuntu 10.04 which worked
>     really well.
>
>     A few months ago I upgraded my wifes laptop to the latest Ubuntu
>     and like many others did not like the Unity desktop and was not
>     sure about Gnome 3.
>     I still wanted to have a current working Linux on my main laptop
>     so I started looking into some alternative
>     Distros. I thought I would give KDE a shot and ended up finding
>     Chakra Linux a fork of the Arch Linux Distro that uses KDE
>     exclusively.
>
>     I installed Chakra and of course had no sound at all. So a month
>     ago I went to my first NM Linux user group meeting. I enjoyed
>     meeting everyone and received lots of support trying to fix my
>     sound problem.
> [...]
Hi Eddie,
Its an Asus W90 VP -A1 - 18.4" monitor - 6 gigs ram - two 320 gig hard
drives with - dual ATI HD Radeon 4870 Graphic cards......AKA the
"MONSTER" they only made them for a short time it was discontinued the
same year it came on the market i think.  It is my opinion that they
over reached themselves trying to put all that hardware in a laptop.
There were a lot of RMA's I sent mine in once. So I think they lost a
lot of money with this laptop.  I have had it for three years now. I
have to watch the temperature from the graphic cards. I have opened up
the back three times to replace the thermal compound on the heat sinks.
The temperature can get as hot as 98 - 100 C. Then after replacing the
thermal compound (and at the moment) it is running at about 68 c.

For anyone noticing there fans  running full speed I recommend a good
cleaning with compressed air and replacing old thermal compound with
Artic Silver I have seen a massive heat reduction of 20 to 30 c.

Yes CrunchBang is based on Debian I am looking forward to seeing what
you think after your install in Virtual Box....
all the best
Scott