[nmglug] The OS progress,

Scott Gamble gamblesc at gmail.com
Thu May 3 13:57:29 PDT 2012

On 05/03/2012 10:12 AM, Eddie Schell wrote:

> Indeed!! The only thing I miss about windows is the massive support
> for hardware

Yes, Hardware support I should know about this.......It was really hard
for me to get my audio working
and the ATI graphic drivers working on Linux. But on the plus side I
have found the Linux community
very supportive and willing to share their  knowledge in regards to
hardware support. Plus I think I am making new friends along the
way,learning lots about how computers really work which is empowering!

And when you put in all that hard work to get everything working is is
very rewarding, and the results are
A blazing fast tool that works for you!!!

As a woodworker It took me a long time the learn how to sharpen my tools
to perfection, I once left my block plane at home while on an new home
build in Scotland. I picked up a block plane from a chippy who was on
his lunch break.... when I presented this tool to the piece of wood I
wanted to put a small chamfer on to me it was unusable....  I did have
however my set of Japanese water stones and I proceeded to resharpen the
block plane....

I did what I needed to do with the block plane returned it to where I
found it and got on with the rest of my work. A few hours later there
was a great  torrent of swearing and OMG and this chippy came storming
down stairs demanding to know who had been using his block plane.  He
was in amazement at the condition of his plane and even though he had
been a carpenter for much longer than me at this time he had never used
a tool that was properly sharpened...

I have helped many carpenters learn about Japanese water stones to
achieve sharp tools for their work!
Just like Same Noble has helped me learn a little about how to get my
hardware working in Linux.

Now I have a sharp Linux box that makes me more productive.

And when I learn more about this tool I will be happy to help others......

Its amazing we are like the Occupy movement in reverse.... the few using
Linux supported a community of people helping each other with this
amazing  technology is that predominate in much of the world.

Well I have been rambling along here ....please forgive me ...I took my
laptop to the Second Street Brewery to finish the design for a sliding
partition door... I finished the design which I will present to my
client at 4:00 pm this afternoon..... re booted into my Crunch bang OS
ordered another IPA and checked my emails........well this is my
personal opinion Linux and beer work well together....:D

bye for now
Scott