[nmglug] Using Flow Control

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Fri May 4 12:43:41 PDT 2012

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 12:40:29PM -0600, Scott Gamble wrote:
[...]
> (to pause text press ctrl +s )   (to resume ctrl +q)   (  I found
> that pressing any key resumes the text)

Most "old timers" will know this as XON/XOFF flow control.  It's
horribly useful, and I'm glad new generations are finding it!
They both work on the bash command line as well.  Extremely useful
in terminal/non-windowed environments.

Another set of helpers that let me navigate the command line
faster:
  ^a -- moves the cursor to the start of the line
  ^e -- moves the cursor to the end of the line
  ^u -- erases to the beginning of the line

<voice type=old&warbly> back when we only had VT52 terminals, we used
had these keystrokes hardwired into our brain </voice>

(I also find myself hitting the escape key at the end of paragraphs
when using Word and the like too...)