[nmglug] dmesg output

Sam Noble s at mnoble.net
Wed May 30 14:37:52 PDT 2012

On Tue, May 29, 2012 at 07:26:58PM -0600, BrianO'Keefe wrote:
>    I guess I'm just asking too much from my 2.8 Ghz Celeron CPU then. Or is
>    FF really such a hog?

Well firefox is a resource hog, but since this is a heat problem. You
might see a big improvement with some hardware maintenance.

See if you can pull the machine apart and clean things up a bit. If a
fan needs replacing that's probably the main problem, if not, then
dusting it out may help a bit.

But a bigger bang might be replacing the thermal compound on the CPU's
heatsink.
Scott G has mentioned doing this several times on the giant Asus laptop
with pretty significant results. He's using artic silver, just like we
used to use for overclocking pentium3 era celerons :)

Alternatively it might be interesting to just nice down the firefox
binary and see if that buys you anything.

--
sam