[nmglug] Ethernet cable question

Nick Frost nickf at frostitute.com
Thu Oct 25 15:18:48 PDT 2012

On Oct 25, 2012, at 11:09 AM, Will Pearson wrote:

> I've got a friend who wants to run an Ethernet cable out to his balcony from his apartment, management won't let him drill a hole so the only option is to run a cable through the sliding glass door. I know coax cables have special jumpers for this, but I've never seen anything like this for Ethernet cables.

blue Dow rigid foam 8' x 4' (e.g. "DeckMate" http://building.dow.com/na/en/products/insulation/deckmateplusfa.htm) can be cut and placed floor to ceiling in against a partially open sliding glass door and the sill.   The cable run through the foam and sealed with a can of window and door foam.  With a bit of tape on the door/Dow foam transition and the foam-to-sill transition this would be relatively weatherproof and provide good insulation.  Of course..doing so would prevent opening the door unless the foam/sill side were not taped and held closed with pressure alone…which for most sliding glass doors should work.

As others have mentioned, wireless probably makes more sense. For distances that exceed that of the average access point Ubiquiti makes some nice equipment that will cover ranges between a few hundred feet and several kilometers.

-Nick

Nicholas S. Frost
7 Avenida Vista Grande #325
Santa Fe, NM  87508