[nmglug] where to pick up a low-end, possibly small desktop right now

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Sun Jun 23 09:23:22 PDT 2013

Amigos, today's "need hardware in a hurry" question is that I need to
pick up a desktop PC for a friend who needs to run GNU/Linux for the
next two months.  She just needs enough for simple desktop work (emacs,
latex, web browser, ...)

My guess is that any not-too-ancient vintage PC will do.

As I see it my options are:

* hope that someone says "dude, I have a box I'm not going to use for a
  few months; it's not too noisy"

* hope that someone says "dude, I'm selling an old box"

* walk in to a store and see if I can get something tiny

So my question is: what stores in town would you walk in to to buy
today's cheapest new-or-used-or-refurbished-or-whatever desktop?