[nmglug] Check a disk?

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Mon Mar 25 18:37:15 PDT 2013

On Mon, Mar 25, 2013 at 06:56:34PM -0600, Bob Knight wrote:
> ddrescue rules. I got a disk from a macbook back for son-in-law - it
> was well and truly hosed. Just be patient.

Indeed -- rule it does.

dd (from whence ddrescue sprang) has been one of my best friends for
at least two decades.  I recommend that *everyone* practice its use
for those times you *really* need it.  Try:
  - cloning a disk
  - cloning a partition
  - pulling out the MBR from a disk

All this and more awaits those that take the time to learn the powerful
tools that are available from un*x-like OSes...