[nmglug] advice on purchasing a new laptop

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Wed May 15 12:35:52 PDT 2013

I might want to buy a laptop in a hurry from the local Best Buy or
Office Depot or Staples.  It would be an inexpensive ultrabook and I
would install the GNU/Linux operating system on it.

Does anyone have advice on:

1. what hardware should I look at or avoid?

2. any issues installing a GNU/Linux distribution (debian or ubuntu)
these days?  I keep hearing about "bricking" due to UEFI, but I have not
researched it yet.

3. is there a current "hardware guide for Linux laptops" web site I
should look at?