[nmglug] April 24th;

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Tue Apr 29 20:43:54 PDT 2014

Hi Arlo

> Currently trying to connect to my local network - it seems the command-line
> parts of NetworkManager got installed, but not the GUI parts. No big deal,
> I can install those after I connect.

I got stuck on getting your network manager applet working in xfce. I
think you need the package "network-manager-gnome" and then in xfce
autostart settings add "nm-applet" to startup.
Also, you may of broken the network manager when you made changes to
/etc/network/interfaces. remove the changes you made. It should have
"allow-hotplug eth0" and no reference to your wireless interface.
You can also run "dhclient -v eth0" if you are plugged in to the nic.
This will ask for an address from a dhcp server on the lan.

> =====
>
> I suppose the group is too informal to have a more standard reporting of
> the events of meetings :P
If you feel compelled, the list is a good place to write with "meeting
minutes". If something more interesting happens feel free to make a post
about it on the website. It will show up under latest news.

> Anyway, I guess I should mention that a lot of people showed up this time,
> including Mark, who said he had been here a few years ago while passing
> through from Britain. It was a lively session.
It was a fun one! Lets get that x30 laptop an atheros wireless card!!
That intel chip is garbage. Atheros has free/libre drivers and is
therefore the logical choice. Anyone have one lying around? It will
probably be mini-pci slot.