[nmglug] city of santa fe videos using silverlight (ugh)

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Tue May 13 06:21:23 PDT 2014

Amigos, yesterday I ran in to the guy who puts up the video for the city
of Santa Fe and I mentioned that this page:

http://www.santafenm.gov/video_on_demand

offers videos in a proprietary format called Silverlight which is not
available for GNU/Linux users.  There was some attempt way back to write
a Mono-based replacement, but "just clicking" goes nowhere and I'm
guessing it would not really work -- my attempts way back didn't work.

The guy aggressively commented that "it works universally" to which I
said "it certainly doesn't work universally, and you should be using a
format that is not out of a vendor's brochure".

Does anyone feel like taking 40 seconds to write an email to the city's
"general media inquiries" pointing out

(a) that this doesn't work for you because you run a GNU/Linux system,

and

(b) (if you know about video stuff) proposing a straightforward link
they could put next to the silverlight link that would allow the rest of
us to see it in a standards-compliant manner?

The contact info is at this page:

http://www.santafenm.gov/media_resources

and the "general media inquiries" email address is

Jodi McGinnis Porter <jmporter at santafenm.gov>