[nmglug] mozilla adopting adobe digital restrictions

Jason Schaefer js at jasonschaefer.com
Thu May 15 09:16:33 PDT 2014

"Only a week after the International Day Against DRM
<https://defectivebydesign.org/dayagainstdrm/>, Mozilla has announced
that it will partner with proprietary software company Adobe to
implement support for Web-based Digital Restrictions Management
<https://defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm_digital_restrictions_management>
(DRM) in its Firefox browser, using Encrypted Media Extensions (EME).

The Free Software Foundation is deeply disappointed in Mozilla's
announcement. The decision compromises important principles in order to
alleviate misguided fears about loss of browser marketshare. It allies
Mozilla with a company hostile to the free software movement and to
Mozilla's own fundamental ideals.

Although Mozilla will not directly ship Adobe's proprietary DRM plugin,
it will, as an official feature, encourage Firefox users to install the
plugin from Adobe when presented with media that requests DRM. We agree
with Cory Doctorow that there is no meaningful distinction between
'installing DRM' and 'installing code that installs DRM.'

We recognize that Mozilla is doing this reluctantly, and we trust these
words coming from Mozilla much more than we do when they come from
Microsoft or Amazon. At the same time, nearly everyone who implements
DRM says they are forced to do it, and this lack of accountability is
how the practice sustains itself. Mozilla's announcement today
unfortunately puts it -- in this regard -- in the same category as its
proprietary competitors.
https://fsf.org/news/fsf-condemns-partnership-between-mozilla-and-adobe-to-support-digital-restrictions-management