[nmglug] Approved coreboot AMD mobo

Sam Noble s at mnoble.net
Fri May 23 14:11:21 PDT 2014

On Fri, May 23, 2014 at 02:08:07PM -0600, Satsangat Khalsa wrote:
>       I hope y'all can read this

Hi Satsangat,

I just see one line of a spreadsheet? It appears to be the entry for the

HP Pavilion found here:
http://coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards#Laptops

So this might be a interesting link :
http://www.coreboot.org/Board:hp/pavilion_m6_1035dx

Which puts the lie in what I said last night wrt "no amd laptops with
coreboot support yet" I've been disregarding this one as the coreboot
dev that did this port, Alex Gagniuc, has stated that he didn't
necessarily recommend anyone use this laptop, it's just something that
he had already (or bought cheaply?, I forget now) and he did this port
as a warm-up for some AMD laptop that the coreboot devs hope to settle
on as a high quality machine that can get something like "long term
support" Also he's joined the military and is off in bootcamp or some
such for a few months.

But the direness of how vanishingly few devices are likely to even
approach "secure" (In this era when US taxpayers have funded our own
home-grown Advanced Persistent Threat.) makes me want to rethink that
and go troll ebay :)

http://www.coreboot.org/pipermail/coreboot/2014-March/077761.html :
"My motivation for doing this is not to get coreboot to run on this
laptop. The laptop itself is poorly constructed. I do, however, want to
lay the groundwork for the LTS laptop everyone's been talking about."

--
sam