[nmglug] Approved coreboot AMD mobo

Arlo Barnes arlo.barnes at gmail.com
Tue May 27 20:50:49 PDT 2014

> Originally, Google employed "portage" because It allowed for very fine
> control of which services are installed and running.

Now they run a custom closed-source OS, I think.

*free except the flash plugin patrons will demand :-(

Once at a meeting I mentioned that I thought I had in the past run a free
version of Flash, and you said that the only free Flash you knew of was
Gnash (which I misheard as Ganesh, which itself would be a cool name for a
package).
Now that I actually have used Gnash (on my mother's computer, which works
great - thanks to everyone at the last meeting, especially Sam for helping
figure out the display driver problems, someone whose name I did not catch
who downloaded the wireless firmware, and Jason for giving me the Debian 7
install disc a while back), I can see that it was probably not what I was
using before. Gnash is OK, especially for offline locally-stored animated
flash games and the like, but has some problems with streaming video like
the patrons would presumably use. I installed Chromium just because some
minor things in the interface are nice to have, and Firefox/Iceweasel does
not have them; Chromium comes with a plugin called 'Pepper' Flash -
presumably to go with the NaCL ('native client') plugin. It works fine, but
I tend to install the 'Flash Control' plugin to disable Flash by default
because I do not like it unless I need to use it.

The advantage might be in their source code approach to the software.

Hypothetically speaking, how slow would a just-in-time compiled system be?

-Arlo James Barnes