[nmglug] Paid opportunity for CS related classes at Carlos Gilbert Elem.

Jimmy Heil jimmy at jimmyheil.com
Thu Apr 23 15:12:48 PDT 2015

Hey yall,
Received this from a client that is looking for a person to teach some
CS related skills to 3rd graders.

Anyone interested?

Please contact Dr. Cindy Forno (cmforno at hotmail.com) *be sure to tell
her I sent you, and let me know if something ends up working out.*

Carlos Gilbert Elementary School is looking for someone who would be
interested in teaching our 3rd graders computer science. Our school is
equipped with a computer lab that each grade has access to for about 1
hour a week, but we currently do not have a dedicated computer teacher.
Instead, each teacher is encouraged to come up with a technology
curriculum for his/her class.  Unfortunately, what this normally amounts
to is testing preparation (as students are beginning to get tested on
computers) and math games.

The Carlos Gilbert PTK (parent organization) is currently funding
special programs for each grade.  For example, our 6th graders work with
Cooking with Kids, 5th graders with Wise Fool, 4th graders with the
National Dance Institute.  Since computer science is lacking at our
school, we are hoping to fund a technology program for our 3rd graders.
We are hoping to find someone who can work with our 3rd grade classes
for about 1 hour a week each. Next year we will have TWO 3rd grade
classes, and they each have their own 1-hr computer lab time on separate
days. I'm not sure what the schedule will be like for next year yet, so
we are hoping to find someone who has a somewhat flexible schedule.

The teachers are hoping to use these lessons to prepare their students
for computerized testing.  We, as parents, are hoping for more, like
learning
basic skills in word processing and coding... maybe even robotics.  Most
of all, it should be fun.

If you know of anyone who may be interested in working with our 3rd
graders, please send them our way.   We are able to offer a stipend, but
since we are a public school and have to raise our own funds for these
extra programs, it is somewhat limited (about $2000 for the year).
--

<http://jimmyheil.com>

Jimmy Heil / IT Consultant, NewMedia Technician
jimmy at jimmyheil.com <mailto:jimmy at jimmyheil.com>/ 505-399-0317

http://jimmyheil.com