[nmglug] Speaking of userspace...

Sam Noble s at mnoble.net
Thu Jun 25 09:05:38 PDT 2015

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 07:34:37PM -0600, Ted Pomeroy wrote:
> Sam, Thank you. I wonder if the same is true in Chrome, which some of
> my friends use from their Windows(tm) installs.

Yeah, it's totally in chrome, which is not free software. From the
article:
# The feature is installed by default as part of Google’s Chrome browser.
# But open source advocates are up in arms about it also being installed
# with the open source variant Chromium, because the listening code is
# considered to be “black box”

Because apparently having your browser automatically download modules
that turn whatever computer one is using into a device which transmits
audio input across the internet, is something that non-free software
users consider acceptable. :sigh:

--
sam