[nmglug] viewing "Code: Debugging the Gender Gap" in Santa Fe

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Tue Nov 15 10:28:03 PST 2016

Dear glugers,

There is a documentary that has been rolled out slowly in the last
year:
"Code: Debugging the Gender Gap".  It looks in to the problem of
so few
women going into computer science.

The trailer is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8VVb6M8pTvE

and

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zolhgjOX27A

Among other people interviewd, former Santa Fe Institute hacker
Adam
Messinger (now CTO at Twitter) is one of the people interviewed on
the
sad situation of women in software engineering.

I have been hoping to arrange a screening in Santa Fe for some
time, and
they are finally going unlimited.

Anyone have thoughts/ideas on what's the best way to screen this
and how
to get software-engineering/IT workers and managers to come see
it?

I am also interested in seeing if parents of girls might be
motivated to
think of their daughters for programming courses and not just
their
sons.  I wonder if viewing the documentary might help.