[nmglug] Comcast refuses to send mail to Linux desktop email clients

Peter Reed mrdeadworry at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 09:04:47 PST 2018

On Sat, 1 Dec 2018 22:47:55 -0700 (MST)
Tom Ashcraft <trailerdog234 at comcast.net> wrote:

> A couple or three days ago Thunderbird stopped receiving messages
> from my primary email account.
>

> Turns out I can now only access Comcast email through the Xfinity
> webpage and through the mail app on my old Apple iPod 3. Have yet to
> try my old Android tablet apps.
>

> Incoming mail server, imap.comcast.net, fails to connect with
> up-to-date Thunderbird on three different laptop computers: My newish
> HP-Notebook running Kubuntu 18.04, my wife's newish HP-Pavilion
> running Ubuntu MATE 18.04, and my older Acer A0722 Netbook running
> Lubuntu 18.04.
>

> The netbook case is particularly interesting in that the Xfinity
> email webpage completely crashes Falkon browser and loads exceedingly
> slowly with Firefox. Moreover, just as with Thunderbird, Comcast
> server will not connect with Sylpheed mail client. Netbook has only
> 2MB RAM so lightweight, speedy, and stable Falkon is usually my go-to
> browser thereupon.
>

> Have tried alternative second-choice ports as suggested in Comcast
> support pages, but these don't work either.
>
> I have two other mail accounts, Google Gmail and Microsoft
> Hotmail/Outlook, both of which continue to work on all machines with
> Thunderbird and Sylpheed just fine.
>

> Anyone else out there having similar Comcast/Xfinity trouble?
> Thoughts, suggestions?

I am not having any trouble with comcast aka. xfinity with claws-mail
client and imap. It works as intended here. I would recheck all your
settings to make sure everything looks right. I do believe there was a
certificate change with claws that I had to except recently for comcast
so that may be the problem.
Peter