[nmglug] No GUI desktop

okeefe at cybermesa.com okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri Mar 16 17:43:32 PDT 2018

On Fri, March 16, 2018 4:01 pm, Ted Pomeroy wrote:
 Thanks Ted,
I'm not seeing x processes thou I can't say I'd recognize them for sure!
Interestingly when I boot the machine starts xfcewm, just like it used to
gdm. No password no nothing just straight to the GUI. Previously I could
choose to logout and then the normal gnome login screen would appear with
me and guest as choices. I'd choose me and enter my password. All was
good. the XFCE desktop does not give me that option and switching totty
and logging in as me doesn't produce a GUI.
I created a new user with admin privileges and cannot startx or even
lightdm, which somehow has become default.
That's where I leave it tonite....
Thanks for any and all help- eternally grateful My response, in part, to
Sam follows