[nmglug] No GUI desktop

okeefe at cybermesa.com okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri Mar 16 17:48:27 PDT 2018

On Fri, March 16, 2018 11:24 am, s at mnoble.net wrote:
Thanks Sam! I had ck'e log files previously with no errors but now I have
one. Interestingly this last reboot booted straight into the guest and
lightdm (where that wm came from is beyond me!). Can't login to any wm as
me though. Here's the log file error:
#(EE) open /dev/fb0: permission denied#
after finding correct syntax for the log file ;)

> On Fri, Mar 16, 2018 at 08:32:29AM -0600, okeefe at cybermesa.com wrote:
>
> Probably worth looking for clues here:
>> (==) Log file: "home/ubuntu/.localshare/xorg/Xorg.1.log" time, (current
time)
> Can we see something like:
> $grep -2 '(EE)' ~/.localshare/xorg/Xorg.1.log
>
> But my guess is this problem will turn out to be about too many display
managers or
> multiple X sessions or X fighting with wayland or whatever the ubuntu
wayland-competitor was called etc.
> I'd be interested in seeing if any X servers are running.
> Maybe something like:
> $ps ax | grep Xorg
> or even
> $ps ax | grep X
>
> And if you find a process running X it's probably a display manager that
you aren't using, and maybe it can be shut off i.e:
> $sudo /etc/init.d/somedm stop
The only process I could see was Xorg (from "top")

Thanks so much. I know that all the parts are there but getting them
ordered seems to be the issue