[nmglug] No GUI desktop=added info

s at mnoble.net s at mnoble.net
Sat Mar 17 15:09:09 PDT 2018

On Sat, Mar 17, 2018 at 02:39:50PM -0600, okeefe at cybermesa.com wrote:
> Thanks Sam. I'm increasingly flumoxed. Are you available for paid work?
> Seriously because....
Let's not cross that bridge yet, I think you may be pretty close.

> The Ubuntoids have not responded at all.
Boo hiss.

> > I guess we skipped the part where you tell us if your using startx
> > intentially, or if it's something you started doing becouse your DM is
> > broken?
> Broken DM
OK cool so let's pick a DM and get it working. We can ignore the video
group permissions etc. Sounds like lightdm is currently installed and
'working' we'll just poke at it's settings.

> So I just installed xubuntu-desktop and here're the results.......
> Kubuntu throbbing on black screen.  It disappears then.....nothing. Go
> to tty1 and have login prompt. Login as ubuntu (me) then $lightdm.
> XFCE desktop appears with ubuntuguest as user.
Apparently lightdm defaults this way. See links below.

> I've googled this until I'm blue in the face.
Here's some relevant stuff you may have bumped into:
https://askubuntu.com/questions/62564/how-do-i-disable-the-guest-session#62566
Which lead me here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightDM

I think we should try this one:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LightDM#Allow_Manual_Login
Edit the lightdm config file probably /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf but if
that's not seeming to take effect note the list of cascading conf files
from the top of that page.
To include:
[SeatDefaults]
greeter-show-manual-login=true

also note the info at the top of that page about later versions of
lightdm changing the syntax from SeatDefaults to Seat:*

After each change you try do:
$sudo /etc/init.d/lightdm restart

If I'm guessing right. That should get you a lightdm login page. And
hopefully actually logging in will work from there. If not we're
probably back to Ted's idea that there's some setting in your user
account. We can probably traack it down with logs or something. Maybe
/var/log/lightdm

--
sam