[nmglug] No GUI desktop

Mark Galassi mark at galassi.org
Sat Mar 17 18:51:27 PDT 2018

Too much in this thread for me to have read it all, but I have
handled
these often.  If you're downtown on Sunday call me (write
privately for
phone #) and I'll look at it with you.

The things to do from a virtual console are to

sudo apt /etc/init.d/lightdm stop
sudo apt /etc/init.d/gdm3 stop
sudo apt /etc/init.d/kdm stop
sudo apt /etc/init.d/xdm stop

and so on for any *dm.  Then you try your startx.  You can also
try a
restart on the less flakey display managers, like gdm3 ("sudo
/etc/init.d/gdm3 restart")

If you are experimenting with our GUI running you can run "startx
-- :2"
(or :3 or higher) to see what happens.

For this list attaching the full /var/log/Xorg.0.log might be
useful, as
well as transcripts of startx with different displays like :2 or
:3.

On thing I'm not clear on is what really happens when you power on
the
computer.  Your original email (I was unable to follow all the
followups) does not make it clear if that first login you do is
graphical or on a virtual text console.

If the former, then the whole rest of the message is strange
because
starting X from an alread-graphical situation is not the thing to
try.

If that first login is on a virtual text console then your
situation
seems to be that you booted and it came up with vt1 instead of
vt7, but
at the same time automatically logged you in as guest on vt7.  I
have
never seen that, and it smells of some weird mucking with user
accounts.
Make sure that guest is not set to automatically log in.

Among other problems with the precision of this problem report is
that
you don't mention what desktop is your default, and which one
comes up
when you go to vt7 and are logged in as guest.  Maybe it's in the
many
later messages.

Anyway, call me up if you're downtown and we'll experiment.