[nmglug] No GUI desktop=added info

okeefe at cybermesa.com okeefe at cybermesa.com
Sat Mar 17 20:18:09 PDT 2018

Thanks to all for the input and I apologize for the massive confusion of
my posts! As the behavior of my box is of a type that I don't get and
haven't run into at all. Ted, I am sorry that you have that bug that has
been afflicting folks-it's a real nasty one for sure. Hope that you get
better soon. I take your comments and ideas seriously, ubuntoid or
otherwise.
I went to Black Panther and since I had over 2 hours to think of other
things a thought occurred to me and it's along the lines that you bring up
Mark. I'm thinking that the update made a weird situation an inoperative
one.
Sometime back my login changed to an auto login to my guest account. I
would just logout and the login screen would appear with the 2 accts.,
mine and guest. I would select mine and input my password and go on fine.
Weird but not destructive.
After the update the box booted right into the guest account as before
with an XFCE WM but switching to tty1 gave me a login prompt, not a
textual version of the already graphically logged in Guest. So I could
login to that vt as me.If I f7 back to the graphical guest running XFCE, I
could (can) logout graphically but no new login screen appears, like it
used to, with available users.
My Black Panther vast periods of vacant thought space makes me wonder if
some cofig setting for the DM either doesn't have any users other than
guest in it or that guest is not password protected so it just boots back
into the guest session.
I'll look at the lightdm.config file and see if I can find something is
allowing autologin for guest and not for me. I'd rather there be no
autologin for any user. So I'll try some commands suggested.
I can't thank you all enough.