[nmglug] Meeting this week;

okeefe at cybermesa.com okeefe at cybermesa.com
Fri May 25 17:44:15 PDT 2018

Hi all,

After a somewhat tail-chasing evening on my trying to install 18.04 onto
my new 1TB SSD we gave up. Ted loaned me his USB live drive (and I will
guard it with your life Ted) and so this afternoon I allowed the installer
to deal with partitions and Grub, etc. there was an issue with a UEFI
board capable or not. Last nite we tried tweaking this and that but the
installer just handled it. I watched the output during the install and the
installer found my UEFI platform and then did a Grub upgrade by itself. So
after 20 minutes I had a fully functioning install, sort of. I knew that
my broadcom driver was wonky even though I could choose it in the live
version and wifi worked but on the install the driver showed up but
couldn't be activated. I installed synaptic and then installed every
broadcom kernel DKMS, and all things Broadcom. I then chose it as the
driver and now have fully functioning wifi.
A big question is that since I was hacked, probably at Standing Rock, how
can I migrate profiles (Firefox and Thunderbird) and files without
dragging some infection with them and giving "them" access again? I need
help with that one!
I'll try to make next meeting but my wife is out of town. If someone is on
the north side of town near the P.O., perhaps I could hitch a ride. I'll
try to use my clout to keep the Baking Co. open until 7:30 again!

That's the news from here. Good to have seen all!

Brian