[nmglug] Interesting development re Comcast imap servers

Peter Reed mrdeadworry at gmail.com
Tue Apr 2 13:38:42 PDT 2019

On Wed, 27 Mar 2019 18:30:46 -0600
jason schaefer <js at jasonschaefer.com> wrote:

> On 3/26/19 6:25 PM, John Osmon wrote:
> > On Tue, Mar 26, 2019 at 02:40:37PM -0600, Tom Ashcraft wrote:
> >
> >> Is something similar what you mean by distinguishing 'patch cable'
> >> from 'non-patch cable'?
> > I, too, was interested in hearing about the "non-patch" cables.  It
> > isn't a term I'm used to hearing.
>
> I think he meant cross-over? This could have changed on a firmware
> upgrade mdi/mdx can be painful but not a comcast fault.

No I meant patch cable not a cross-over. See (1) and (2)

> >> Comcast can "push" firmware to *your* router?
> > Yes.  Part of the DOCSIS specification is that the provider pushes
> > firmware to you.  You may own the cable modem, but they get to
> > program it...  (Which actually makes sense.)
>

> It does make sense and it is why no one should use any Comcast
> equipment as a router. The best setup for comcast is a dedicated
> modem like SB6190 or CM700 modem.

Yes I use a netgear cm700 modem with comcrap and a netgear r7000 router
as my main router. I have several older model routers of different
brands taking up the slack around the house (house is made of cinder
block not concrete block so poor wifi). All run the latest DD-WRT.
See(3).

 These are dedicated modems and not

(1) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethernet_crossover_cable
(2) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patch_cable