[nmglug] .avi on DVD play VLC

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Tue Apr 9 17:47:27 PDT 2019

Interesting issue. First, is there a mtg. Thursday and where?

OK, a little strange since a DVD is not an .avi. It would be an mp4 or
just the image on your desktop of the DVD. I can't imagine where 3
.avi's came from if they didn't exist before. You would generally need
to reformat a DVD to create an .avi which is generally a much smaller
file size.

I would consider running VLC or mplayer in a terminal to open the DVD. Try:

$ cd /media

run ls  as below and your username should be shown:

/media$ ls
"myusername"

then:

$ cd "myusername"

then to see what's in /media/yourusername run ls command again:

/media/"myusername"$ ls
FIRE_GIRL

then:

$ vlc FIRE_GIRL

and the DVD should play. If not you'll be able to see the errors in the
terminal which will give you info that will help.

Good luck!