[nmglug] Weirder still

Brian O'Keefe okeefe at cybermesa.com
Thu Apr 25 15:53:55 PDT 2019

Hi All and thanks for bearing with me. In an attempt to have additional
kernels besides the two shown in Grub prior, I installed several and now
I have many to choose from, 4.15.* to 4.18.*,  and have tried several
(yes I can now access Grub at boot).

I still cannot restart or shutdown (except hard). My WiFi is gone though
after the first boot after adding the kernels I had it for a short
session. I'm wired now.

I cannot get the correct screen resolution and xrander shows only:

$ xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 1024 x 768, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected primary 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
    1024x768      76.00*

this resolution is too low but the only one available it seems. Looks
like this:

I have tried a few things from support groups and to no avail.

That's the screenshot above, BTW, not duplicate typing.
Sound seems to have gone away too.
I imagine all of this is really the universe saying to do a clean
install. I wish I knew what had happened but I probably never will.
So that's the update from hosed central. Wish I could make tonite's
meeting but we're supporting Kitchen Angels.
Thanks folks
Brian